I had high hopes for this city. And I have to say, I am not disappointed by its people, its food and its culture, but I would have to say, the hype about Shanghai is indeed overrated to a certain extent.
Shanghai is like any other cosmopolitan city in the world. Fantastic metro lines, buses to connect from within city and out of city. Bicycle friendly and definitely less polluted than Beijing. The people of Shanghai are so friendly and cultured that the stereotyping of the Chinese in China cannot be applied to the people in Shanghai. They are so helpful that I feel ashamed at times, on how I have to be like the Peking people sometimes to fight to get to where I want to be. But it constantly reminds me that humans need to adapt in order to fit in. So when in Beijing, do as the Bejing-ers do. And when in Shanghai, do as the Shanghainese do. And the Shanghainese have their own peculiar language that is rather fascinating. I only know one word, which is 'sa-lui', which means to ask the horse to move on, and that, was learnt on tv on some documentary years back. I wish I asked the Shanghainese to teach me some basic words and phrases. But fret not, I'll return to this city, when I'm working. There's so much more to explore at the streets, the cafe culture is a thumbs up against the backdrop of the old grey stoned buildings. Singapore loses in that. And Beijing, can't keep up with cafe culture like that of Shanghai.
Well, there's so much I want to write but I need to sleep, so tomorrow. I'll continue. Night.
No comments:
Post a Comment