Monday, 8 August 2011

Now, it's time for me to do my bit of reflections.

Once again, each time I explore China, I realise how lucky I am to be in Beijing, other than Shanghai which is the most cosmopolitan city in China, and not any other city in China. After visiting beautiful green and lush Hangzhou, it was like eastern Copenhagen. Reminded me of how lush Darren's Copenhagen pictures were. It was like Bukit Timah nature reserve multiplied by 100. And MacRitchie reservoir multiplied by another 100. Despite the humid and hot summer, the views were breathtaking. The crickets chirping, typical of a summer in China. But the misty greenland, you could easily film Anne of Green Gables with the right lighting. And Qian Dao Hu, another magnificent natural/manmade landscape. Was more amazed how this place came about rather than the view. But it is beautiful in its own way. The only regret is not being able to visit Huang Shan. But no worries, if Darren does come over again for work, I'll save it to climb the mountain with him. And yes, back to being lucky in Beijing. Transport in Beijing is efficient, tourist friendly, and rather idiot proof. I thought that Beijing traffic was bad, but I now take my words back for Hang Zhou's is unpredictable and crazy, reminded me of how they portrayed that of Bangkok's traffic on the news. And they have no train system, and bus stops, we just couldn't find any, or else they were tourist buses, which were priced at $3yuan per journey, as compared to $0.20yuan per trip over in Beijing for me. People, well, I have to say the people we met in Hangzhou were really nice and genuine. As a non-local, we tend to guard ourselves against the Chinese, afraid of being robbed or cheated for our grasp of the Chinese language cannot be compared to their countrymen. But the guides, the hotel staff, they were extremely helpful. I must say they did take a load of questions off our confused heads. Even myself, being in China for a year, was at a loss when I reached Hangzhou. The problem really is that China's not so popular tourist cities are not as well informed to us on the world wide web. Food is ever so affordable as usual for a glutton like me. But all in all, I did have a great short getaway from fast paced Beijing. I think my parents are indeed right, this city has made me rather impatient and time cautious. I do need to take a step back and enjoy the view from the back, as Darren has advised.

My bad habit, nagging. To my friends, I nag slightly, but those who get the full blow are my family and Mr Lee. Yes, I know, I am a nag, but sometimes I think I do it because I care just too much. I will try to nag less. I will learn to further control my moods. And I will try to melt less in the sun and embrace humidity with full arms length. I am after all, Singaporean, and I love that little red dot that I will tolerate all humidity possible. I'll try. 

And speaking of which, Darren, if you ever read this, thank you for your lovely garlic chicken though it was battle with the oven, and your chicken essence soup. It was lovely, but I'm not one who usually complements others, so there you are, thank you, for your two home cooked meals, despite there was no american breakfast every morning. I'n sorry about skyping with my parents during lunch, my bad, I should have been more appreciative and understanding. I didn't handle it well. And I am sincerely infinity times, terribly sorry about it. Thank you for magic cleaning my room and offering to mop the floor though I said no. And keeping the toilet clean, which I did wash before you came and after you left! And thank you for carrying the groceries/bags/luggage and being the man that you should be, ie, carry the stuff duh. Most importantly, those who know me well know that my temper has a short fuse, so my parents are family and will tolerate no matter what. But Darren, you never ever gave up on me, instead you continued to motivate me, and I thank you for tolerating and supporting me during those times where I felt so tired and worn out during your stay over here because of the irritation from the terrible weather. I'm not a soldier like you trained in hot sun, and the sun has never been my best friend, so next time, when there's sun, I know my face spells grey clouds, but I'm ok, just leave me alone to try and cool.  

Well, I've squeezed in a lot of things I wanted you to see. I hope I've been a good guide. And I hope that I've been able to let you see the real China I've been seeing. 

And yes, I'll be back next Jan, I was just being silly when I said I wouldn't. But you know, I will. So see you all Singaporeans in half a year, and happy 46th birthday Singapore, I'll be celebrating from miles away with good old Singaporean food. 

No comments: