Sunday, 27 May 2012

Starfish.

Just back from a starfish project. A project to a foster home to spend time and shower some love to children who have been abandoned due to their unfortunate medical states.

What I feel is rather mixed. Yes I do feel it was fulfilling. It was an eye opener. I was able to help to some certain extent. I was able to shower children some love for the 2 days. I was able to care for them. I don't want to elaborate further on how much good there was.

On the other hand, I feel somewhat conflicted about how I should feel. As a child, to see someone come and go, to see someone shower so much love and then just go. Wouldn't it be confusing for a growing child? So are we creating more heart warmth or more heart aches?

Still, we are doing our little bit and helping in every way we can. And it is heartening to know that there are people doing something about it. For the poorer states of China, a cleft lip would be just a case of abandon. For someone who lives in the city, cleft lip surgeries are common and a plenty. It just goes re-emphasize how big China is and how the disparity between the poor and rich just gets gapingly greater each day. Also it goes to show how some parts of China are less informed, more traditional and maybe ignorant.

As my days in China round down to zero, I think this has been the closing note of what I have been able to do in China. Not my holidays, my adventures, or my camera pictures. But memories of what I did over the weekend, not taken down in pictures, but knocked hard into my brain. To remind us of how lucky we are. 

Maybe whoever you are reading this might not understand what I'm trying to say here, but whatever you're doing and whoever you are, remember, 'there is always someone out there worse off than you'.

No comments: